Monday, January 7, 2008

Living on the Edge

My sister bought me a Baker’s Edge pan for Christmas. Apparently bakers nation-wide were after this pan for the holiday season and they were back-ordered for weeks. Mine arrived last week from the Spoon Sisters. (A name I find very satisfying and hilarious.)

This was a *very* sweet thing for her to do because Kelsey is not an edge person. If she could have all-middle brownies all the time, she totally would. But she knows my penchant for edges and purchased accordingly. She's just as sweet as triple-chocolate brownie, don't you think?!


So. I have cooked 1 batch of brownies in my edge pan and this is what I think: for edge lovers, this is indeed the pan for you! Although, from a brownie-lover’s point of view, I will not be using their recipe again. It was okay, it’s just that I like mine better. It has been my trusty brownie recipe for years now, and is beloved by friends and family on at least 3 continents.


For those who are interested – and not at all faint-hearted:

LaLa’s World Famous Triple Chocolate Brownies

1 cup dark chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips)

2 sticks of butter

1 cup flour

¼ cup baking cocoa

½ tsp salt

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 ½ tsp vanilla

1 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 and butter a 9x13 pan. (Or a Baker’s Edge pan!)

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. When half melted, add the first cup of chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.

Mix the flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Add sugar to chocolate mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add each egg, one at a time, stirring until glossy. Add vanilla.

Stir flour mixture into chocolate just until completely mixed. Fold in the last cup of chocolate chips, then spread in the pan. (You could also add chopped nuts at this stage if you’re interested.)

Cook for 30 minutes and then check every few minutes until the edges are done and the center yields a toothpick with moist crumbs.

No comments: