Okay, the comments for that last post got me thinking: what are the signs of definitely having reached Old Fogeyville?
I’ve come up with some ideas, but I’d be interested to hear yours too. Not that I’m implying any of you are old fogeys or anything…
- You don’t recognize teen pop stars when they’re standing right next to you, or without significant Googling.
- You remember the world before Googling.
- You use ‘the’ in front of nouns like email, as in “I used the email to contact her.”
- The idea of getting dressed up and throwing on lots of makeup and jewelry and doing your hair all pretty makes you groan rather than wriggle in anticipation. (I’m picturing the difference between getting ready for a high school dance and getting ready for a work holiday party.)
- You fondly recall the day your family got its first microwave.
- You know all the words to “The Facts of Life” theme song.
- You remember Meg Ryan from ‘As the World Turns’.
- You remember when the Burger King was just a guy in a cape with a big red beard.
- You own something you refer to as “a housedress.”
- You can perfectly recall where you were for any significant cultural event prior to the Challenger space shuttle explosion in 1986.
- You can no longer drink more than one alcoholic beverage and be expected to behave yourself. (You know who you are.)
- Children you babysat in high school are now themselves graduating from high school.
- You can predict tomorrow’s fashion trends by flipping a few pages further in your own childhood photo album. (I don't think Snoopy handbags are on the horizon, but my 80s clothes are sooooo trendy right now!)
- You remember life before cell phones, and can admit that some aspects of it were good.
- You have friends you have known for decades.