A collection of recent observations:
- In the past year the overwhelming majority of strangers who have stumbled onto this site did so because they searched for information about mermaids. This is surprising because I have never, not even once, offered opinions or information about mermaids in any form. But I did, just once, refer to the women in the water aerobics class I took last spring, as real live mermaids. Apparently, that is enough to lend me something approaching Mermaid Expert status if you do a Google search. I’ve always been very entertained by this. But in the past week, I have accidentally stumbled into a crowd of folks who love Toby Stephens. And now I’m welcoming many visitors from that category. So. Mermaid-lovers and Toby Stephens fans – welcome. I don’t actually make a habit of writing about either one of those topics, but I hope you enjoy yourselves all the same.
- Alert Reader Annette has served us all a dollop of insightful literary criticism in her comment on yesterday’s post. She took us back to the book version of Jane Eyre, which is where any good book-club-ish post should go, and made her point brilliantly: there’s not really a modern equivalent to Jane and
- I am on winter hiatus from water aerobics. It was 8 degrees here last Thursday. This Texan doesn’t voluntarily go outside in that kind of weather, much less outside while wearing a swimsuit or wet hair.
- In a spectacular case of cosmic particles, my friend Cat, the very one who sweated through the summer of ’95 with me in Chez Wombat and who now lives many hours away in a warm southern state, called me up this morning to say she was in town for a flying visit and wondered if I’d like to have lunch. (Personal credo: always say yes to lunch.) So we lunched and caught up and had a Moment of Silence for the Divine Toby Stephens, as the occasion demanded. Always good to see the only other Wombatian in the world.
- I once came within inches of tripping over a wombat. I had gone camping with friends at a place called
- I learned the words to