Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Snippets

*
The swingy sounds of British girl band The Puppini Sisters woke me up this morning. Some guy on NPR was talking about their new album, ‘Betcha Bottom Dollar’, just out today, and playing an excerpt from one of their songs. It sounded like the Andrews Sisters, and had a bright swingy sound, but was in fact a re-fashioning of ‘I Will Survive.’ I literally came awake laughing.
*

*
I’m wearing new shoes today. They are *gorgeous* and since they are the second pair of new shoes I’ve tried to break in this month they are only half as painful as they could be – the old blisters from the first pair are at least half-transformed to calluses so I’ve almost reached that stage of ‘summer feet’ when all likely blister locations have grown the new season’s armor and can take any shoes I care to throw on. Today’s pair are peep-toe striped canvas flats with a rope-edged heel and a little white bow on the toes. They are *extremely* frivolous! Very retro. I’m a little in love with my own feet, which I suppose gives me something in common with all of the world’s 6-month-olds.
*

*
Go Red Sox! I’m going to my first game of the season tonight and positively gleeful about it. Fenway is a place that makes me happy. I have no idea why. I’m not a born baseball fan. But for some reason that park just exerts an almost spiritual form of happiness whenever I’m there – even with the Sox are playing dismally, which is saying something. *Nothing* is more depressed than a Red Sox fan when the Sox can’t play. I’m sure that won’t happen tonight though – just going to Fenway fills me with optimism. I’m sure it’ll be a great game. And it won’t rain. And Ortiz and Manny will hit homers. It’ll be great.
*

*
I killed the first spider of the spring last night. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, getting ready for bed. As I turned to leave the bathroom a spider a little larger than a quarter dashed across the light switch and made me scream. Actually I screamed so loudly that the spider jumped and cowered. It was a little funny. And also small comfort to think that we were *both* terrified, not just me. I do NOT like confronting spiders, especially in a room where I am usually naked and defenseless. This time, though, I was armed with pajamas and a bedroom slipper. I managed to make the bathroom safe for all citizens (except spiders) and went to bed. A little itchier than usual, but safe.
*

No comments: