Monday, March 31, 2008

Vocal Roulette

Every few years or so I'll get laryngitis and lose my voice. It's SO WEIRD. You don't know for sure if you lost it - or even if it came back - until you try to speak. And then... nothing. Or, worse than nothing, those squeaky scratchy little whinnies that sound like a rusty hamster-wheel and tend to embarrass both speaker and listener.

I don't have full-fledged laryngitis right now, just a cold that has settled in my throat. Every time I cough, my voice changes. Sometimes it's gone completely. Sometimes it's very deep, as if I were a drag queen. Most of the time though it's raspy in that painful, please-don't-make-that-noise sort of way.

The best part about this is that I have a phone interview tomorrow afternoon. Will I have a voice or not? That is the question. Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode...

No comments: